Mussel Cream Soup with Saffron and Leeks
Heavy Cream (35%)
Pistils of saffron (or 7 grams/.25 oz of green curry powder)
Small Shallot (thinly chopped)
Salt & Pepper
Dry White Wine
(about 1/2 bottle)
A perfect and simple soup to warm you up on a cold Winter’s Day or any day…
- In a large saucepan, add cleaned live mussels, white wine, bouquet garni, shallots and parsley, and a little bit of pepper.
- Cover and cook on high heat until the mussels open (not too long or you will have rubbery mussels and don’t put the salt in yet).
- Drain the juice from the mussels and reserve.
- In a saucepan add the thinly chopped leeks with butter, cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Then add the chopped potatoes, mussel broth, cream, saffron and a pinch of salt.
- Cook on low heat for 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the mussels from their shells and keep them aside.
- When the soup is cooked, taste, rectify the seasoning and add the mussels you have set aside.
- Reheat quickly so you can serve it warm.