Mushroom and Cheese Stuffed Artichokes
Leek (small diced)
Button Mushrooms (cleaned and chopped)
Choice of herbs (parsley, chervil, chive)
Choice of Nuts (pine nuts,,,, hazelnuts, walnuts, pistachio)
Goat Cheese (sliced or crumbled)
Enough to cover each artichoke
Chef Brian DeFehr
- Trim artichokes removing all the hard inedible leaves to get to the heart of the artichoke.
- Simmer in salted water with crushed cloves of garlic, bay leaves, sprigs of fresh or dried thyme, lemon juice, onion, carrot and celery till cooked through but firm, 20 – 30 minutes.
- Remove from water and let cool, sprinkling with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper.
- Heat a wide saucepan; add 2 tbsp olive oil, then chopped leeks and mushrooms.
- Stir, cover and cook over medium heat 5 minutes.
- Continue cooking uncovered to evaporate all water, 5 more minutes.
- Optional: add 3 tbsp. heavy cream and simmer till thickened.
- Toss in herbs, (optional) extra cheese, and fill mixture into pre-cooked artichoke hearts.
- Top with soft cheese and brown under broiler 3-5 minutes at 190°C/375°F.
Brouilly, Saumur-Champigny, Sancerre rouge, Coteaux-de-Languedoc rouge, Provence rosé, Corbières or Minervois rosé, Rully white, Limoux white, Condrieu white.